Monday, August 22, 2011

Life's Little Miracles.....


Did I ever think I would see her again? Never in a million years!

It has been almost 3 years now since I started working in Zambia. In 2008 Jessica and I arrived in Zambia with no idea that our passion for international development would guide us to where we are today. Three years later and we are now board members of a growing non-governmental organization that has thick roots in the heart of Mongu. If you asked me back then if I would be dedicating a large part of my life to this type of work, I don’t know if I could have imagined what we have become today. I am extremely proud of the hard work and energy that we have created as group and this next story is the reality of the outcomes of our love and passion.

In 2008 Jessica and I taught at Lewanika School of Nursing for 7 months. During that time I focused my lectures and clinical practice in Maternity and Pediatrics. Whilst on the labor ward my students notified me of a baby that had been born at 28 weeks gestation...This beautiful child had been dealt an unfavorable hand of cards. She was premature at 28 weeks (normal is 40), she weighed only 900 grams (about 2 lbs), her mother had passed away during labor of a post partum hemorrhage, and she was born near a hospital that didn’t have the equipment needed to sustain such a fragile life.

When I first spotted this little child all I felt was gut rotting guilt knowing that the chances of survival were next to none. I told myself to create space; don’t become attached because the outcome of the situation had a poor prognosis. The baby’s survival rates in a first world country would be slim let alone a hospital where almost no interventions took place.

It is obvious as to where this story is going. With daily visits to the maternity ward and creating an action plan with the maternity nurses the baby, my baby, ended up surviving and thriving. I would come to the ward with the students and Bertha the friendly midwife would say, “Limpo how is your baby today?” As my 7 months came to an end in Mongu it was time to say goodbye to baby Limpo as we called her. By this time she was over 2000 grams and feeding quite well. I often wondered what would come of her and what fate had in store for her down the road.

Since 2007 Jessica and I have both been back to work in Mongu 5 times! Cumulative we have spent over a year in Zambia....which goes to show you how passionate we are aboue our second home! Together with members of OkaZHI we have taught over 3 nursing courses, 3 surgical courses, 1 medical course and a handful of seminars, medical rounds, and mentorships. As well, we have helped UBCO bring nursing students to Mongu as part of their 4th year practical placement. This was a vision that Jess and I had when we first went to Zambia and she made it happen in 2009! Currently Jessica has accepted a position at UBCO working as a clinical instructor and would love to see UBCO nursing students in Mongu for the 3rd year in a row! I am extremely proud of all the hard work and dedication she has put into this project.

In July of this year (2011) I went to Zambia as part of an Evaluation team. The team consisted of Dr. Bill Nelems and Cameron Jones. We traveled to all the rural communities surround Mongu in Western Province to visit our Zambian medical and nursing colleagues who took part in OkaZHI courses since 2007. It was such a privilege and honor to be welcomed by so many into their communities and places of work. The entire trip was a huge success and illustrated our dedication to have Zambian voices have a say as to how our organization should operate within Western Province.

The most rewarding experience in the entire 3 years I have worked in Zambia occurred on the 2nd day of that trip. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about the rush of emotion that overtook me. The three of us had traveled via Shalom Bus to Kaoma about 2 hours East of Mongu. We were planning on meeting Dr. Silumesii there and conduct a few interviews. While staying with the Chesire Home Sisters I found a few children who stuck to me like glue…Before I knew it I had 5 curious faces in my room looking at pictures and listening to music on my bed. I showed them a picture of Baby Limpo and asked if she was at the orphanage that was attached to our lodging. I grabbed Bill and Cam and we went to talk to the Sister in charge. She looked at the picture I had and I explained her story. A few shared words in Lozi between the Sister and a younger girl occurred then the Sister looked at me and said, “her name is Masualeti.” I felt this surge of energy and joy but also a sense of despair and sadness. The small girl comes over to me and hands me Masualeti who was sleeping at the time. She grabbed my arms and continued to sleep in my grasp. Tears start to pour down my cheeks as I was holding this little miracle that I had the privilege to take part in her care in her most fragile state.




Above: a group from the orphanage look at the picture of Masualeti as an infant

Masualeti sleeping, I'm a bit teary!

That day I thought over and over to myself how our actions, however minute they may be, can have a larger impact than we may ever know. I would like to think that I helped Masualeti become the beautiful 3 year old child she is today. In all likelihood, I think it is more probably that Masualeti is the one who has impacted and helped me become the woman I want to be.

Lianne

5 comments:

Nancy S. said...

Beatiful post, Lianne. You are changing the world.....

Clive said...

Its good to have a health trip for the poor peoples or to help others.
There are many common critical problems regarding knee in the rich and poor and computer assisted joint replacement can help in recovery from that knee problems.

Fahad Ntale said...

Medical miracle indeed- such a touching story that little Masualeti. If one had such a medical history, one would know much better to appreciate life and treasure it. One might even want to become a doctor to save dear lives in the future.

binboy said...

Weight loss treatment


Thank you for this blog. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something that’s eyes opening and . You clearly know so much about the subject, you’ve covered so many bases. Great stuff frimportantom this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.

Unknown said...

Gebze removals and office moving evko should be done with the transport
There is one in my shipping service elevator
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Gebze evden eve nakliye
Gebze nakliyat
İzmit evden eve
İzmit evden eve nakliyat
İzmit nakliyat
Darıca evden eve nakliyat
Darıca evden eve
Çayirova evden eve nakliyat
Darıca evden eve nakliyat
Darıca evden eve nakliye
Darıca nakliyat
Darıca taşıma
Darıca evden eve
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Depolama
to thank