Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Reflections from Home...

The Dynamic Duo enjoying life out on the road

Now that I have had some down time at home in Canada, I have been able to take the time to read through our old blogs. WOW have we ever come a long way, and WOW have we ever been on a wild ride. Coming back home gives me the chance to take a step back and truly reflect on the affects that my African journey has had on my life. Just to think it was only two short years ago we began our work in Zambia. And it was really only just over 3 years ago that I touched down on African soil for the very first time.

There is just something about being on the road and experiencing new things that charges me on life. I’ve been able to experience history, soak up the culture, and see some of the most beautiful places in the world. I’ve have had to nurse and teach in some of the most extreme conditions and push myself to my so called ‘limits’. Through those times I have experienced my own personal lows, yet also have felt my own personal highs. When I get home and it comes time to describe my latest trip to family and friends, I can never quite seem to explain everything I saw, the people I met, or how I felt at the time. I know all my travels are something I won't ever properly be able to explain. There are words and then there are life experiences, and sometimes those words can never quite do justice to the feeling you had inside while you were there experiencing it for yourself.

With each trip back I feel myself growing further and further away from my old life. Traveling really is all about finding yourself and gaining new perspectives. Personally I’ve grown as much in the past 3 years than I did in my first 24 years on this planet. Sometimes it is hard for people to understand why I travel and choose to work abroad. In my travels I’ve had amazing experiences with people and landscapes. This is what keeps me motivated to travel and nurse abroad, and it is what keeps me out on the road. I miss the road, and I constantly miss the adventure. I need this continuous new outlook on life that traveling brings.


With one of our mentors Fay Karp


I know I won’t be able to keep up this pace for the rest of my life. But for now this means seizing whatever opportunity comes my way and altering my decisions so that I can be out on the road a few months of the year. If fully believe if you really want something bad enough, you will make the proper sacrifices to get there. Lianne and I are the perfect example. For this traveling duo ‘sacrifices’ have meant giving up houses, cars, an income, and potential long-term relationships. While we are away everyone’s life back home still moves forward and we do miss out on our friends and family members’ own life changing events…babies don’t seem to wait for Auntie Jessica and Auntie Lianne to get home! We have been continuously supported by our colleagues, families and friends, and without them would never have been able to achieve a quarter of what we have already.



As our adventures continue, I count myself very lucky to have found the perfect travel mate. Being out on the road with Lianne just makes my trips that much better. When it comes down to it we couldn't be more opposite, but do we ever work well together. In the end we really do balance each other out. I don't know how many times we have been lost, stuck on the side of the road, or huddled in our near flooded tent… in these situations she always has the ability to make me laugh. Life out on the road can be stressful at times....say when you are lost driving around the streets of Maputo!...or say after the chain has fallen off your bike 10 times in one day! We most certainly have taken that frustration out on each other. But the best part is always about thirty minutes later we laugh at how silly that was and how sorry we are to have let it get to us. Now that is an important quality in a travel partner.

Stuck on the side of the road with a flat in Botswana

After 4X4ing (in a rental car) through the mud in Mozambique


Really these past couple of years have only been a launchpad for the future, just prepping us for what is to come. Our organization, Okanagan –Zambia Health Initiative is growing fast, and I have never been more proud of the work we are doing in Western Province. I count my Zambian colleagues as some of my closest friends, and I can’t wait to head back ‘home’ to see them in October. Together we will improve health for the people of Western Province, I have no doubt.

Home Sweet Home in Mongu

With our good friend-Dr. Francis Liywalii



Our greatest challenge will always be how do we top this? How is it that each adventure just keeps getting better and better? One day I know I will probably be tired of the road, but one thing is for certain..I haven’t had that feeling yet. Traveling isn't like a light switch that you can just flick off, it's in you..it becomes part of you. One day I hope to say that ‘I’ve seen the world’, but that day isn’t here yet. In fact, I think it is only just beginning.


Just another African sunset...



“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” Mark Jenkins

Thank-you Africa for opening my eyes and shaping me into the person I am today.

-JESSICA

2 comments:

Ma Barker said...

A lovely reflection Jess, thanks for sharing your thoughts and snippets of just some of the adventures that you have experienced. How wonderful it has been to watch this project unfold and we are grateful and privileged to be connected to you and all of those in the group you are involved with. As proud parents it has been so rewarding to see your collective dreams develop and come to fruition… I love to revel in your successes and observe the incredible skills you’ve developed not only as a well respected nurse, but as humanitarian, a seasoned traveler and a great writer! What I love most is how you shine in your caring and compassion for others, your unwavering work ethic, your incredible commitment and wonderful appreciation of people, places and things.


As you continue bravely down this path of adventure and making a difference to healthcare in Zambian’s Western Province, may this reflection, an excerpt from Peaceful Living: Daily Meditations for Living with Love, Healing, and Compassion by Mary Mackenzie, remind you to stay in and revel in those all important moments... it is titled, Staying Present in the Moment ~ “How do you feel and what do you need right now? Don’t worry about tomorrow or fret about yesterday. Just be here in this moment. When you are present to your needs and act in harmony with your values, everything else will fall into place. Your life is like a symphony—as long as each note is played in harmony with the score, the music will be beautiful. It is inevitable.”

I know the African sounds and sunsets always help you to feel present and in the moment. May they and whatever else feeds your passion, continue to nurture your body, mind and spirit as you continue down this incredible path and as you pursue your dreams and aspirations . May you continue to be safe and out of harm’s way ~ may you remain healthy and strong ~ may all the good work you do come back to support you ~ and may you continue to be blessed ~ Love as Always, Mom

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Jess. You have captured the lure and rewards of travelling perfectly.

Nancy